Thursday, June 24, 2010

Beginning Step 3

I took a formal dress down from my closet today to base my pattern off of. Although my duct tape dress will be the same basic silhouette as the dress (fitted and flared at the bottom), the pattern will need a lot of alterations before I can actually use it.

To make the patterns, I taped together some newspaper pages and laid them over the dress. Then I traced and cut out the shapes of the panels that formed the dress. So far, I've cut out patterns for all three front panels (front center and front sides).

The reason there's so many panels is that the more panels there are, the better the dress will fit. In the pattern I'm working with, there will be six panels in all. I probably won't be able to finish cutting out the patterns till Saturday, but you'll hear from me when I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment