Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A bit of history...

I found out about Duck Tape's scholarship contest in the summer of 2009 at the start of my junior year in high school. Being a fan of formal wear, duct tape, and arts and crafts, I decided to give it a go.

Step 1: Design
I pulled out my sketchpad and pencil and began brainstorming. I went through several designs before I settled on a basic idea and theme of stars and started to elaborate. The entries for this year's contest have raised the bar for design and especially detail, and my design, although mostly finished, is still undergoing minor changes to its detailing.

Step 2: Getting the materials
I bought several rolls of Duck Tape Brand's duct tape in chrome, black and purple. My collaborator later suggested that we also use white and aqua.
Since I had decided to use Duck Tape's second suggested method of using cloth as a base for the duct tape fabric, I also bought several yards of black cotton.

The third step, I would imagine, would be to create a pattern for the dress. I haven't started that step yet, but during the long period between deciding on a basic design idea and now having an extravagant and detailed design, I have cut out hundreds of small chrome stars and worked with my collaborator to create a star-themed tuxedo design.

Don't forget to visit www.stuckatprom.com and vote for your favorite entry! I honestly have a hard time trying to decide who to vote for this year. They're all amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment